It happens to everyone – we get into a rut. A sales slump. Keep productive and sell your way out of this sales slump.
- Return all phone calls, immediately. If the phone rings, answer it by the third ring.
- Establish “selling hours” – a time when you will focus on selling and ignore all non-sales related activities.
- Start at the top – if you can, connect with the highest person possible in the organization.
- Network – attend Business After 5, Chamber of Commerce, BNI, and other networking events. Get “belly to belly” with potential prospects and follow up the next day (prepare a letter or email before the event). If the person is not a prospect or does not know anyone who can be a prospect, follow up with them when you are out of the slump (60-90 days later).
- Connect with past clients, orphaned clients, and past prospects in that order. These people are already aware of your company and receptive to your product / service offering.
- If you mentioned to your clients beforehand that you expect referrals, now is the time to ask for “a few good people like yourself.”
- Finally, narrow your focus. Take a laser beam approach to the characteristics of your ideal client and be ruthless in your quest for them.
- A note on emails and social media – only respond to sales related emails during your selling hours. Ignore all social media during your selling hours.
Now get out there and sell!